Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Happy 150th!!!

Congratulations. You are reading my 150th post. Man, I post a lot :) These blogging business has been quite therapeutic for me. Not to mention it has been great keeping up with you guys better. I feel much more part of your lives since we have joined the blogging world!

AAHHHHH......I am having one of those rare, priceless moments. I have all three kids in bed, Christmas music on, the Christmas tree light up, it is raining outside (snow would be so much better), a chenille blanket on my lap and candles lit. I have just finished my devotions and a cup of vanilla sugar free coffee. Does it get much better? I am so grateful for this reprieve. Now I won't mention that my kitchen is lurking behind me needing some attention. The living room is spotless and that is all I can see from where I am sitting. I am claiming out of sight out of mind!

Today I was doing my study in Phil 3:17-21. The lesson is on following those who are following Christ. I was convicted by v 19. It is describing the enemies of the cross.."whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, an whose glory is in their shame-who set their mind on earthly things."

In this quest for losing weight I have acknowledged I have a problem with my view of food. It is frightening to see how big of a problem God thinks my food is....he says I am an enemy of the cross when my belly becomes my god. I don't want that anymore. I am praying for redemption and deliverance from this. Pray with me and for me. The friends of the cross are described as those that deny themselves. I don't do that often which is why I have problems with my weight and my spending at times!

Here is a quote from my Bible study book about this. "If the friends of the cross are those who show in their lives that they have caught the spirit of the cross, namely, that of self-denial...then surely the enemies of the cross are those who manifest the very opposite attitude, namely that of self-indulgence. The friends of the cross do not love the world. In fact, the world is crucified to them, and they to the world, and this this because they glory in the cross (Gal 6:14). The enemies of the cross love the world and the things that are in the world (I John 2:15). They set their minds on earthly things (Phil 3:19)."

I think this is the perfect time to think about these things. Let's not get carried away lusting after all the great holiday food or traditions. Let's not let our focus be on the gifts but on the giver of all perfect gifts!

10 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

Your moment sounds wonderful to me! I would like to have one like that soon...maybe next week! I have really been tired lately and just feel overwhelmed with life! I am going shopping tonight with Dana (one of my very best friends). JC Penney is having a one day only sale on maternity clothes and she is starting to outgrow her regular clothes. I enjoy girl time like that…it can be relaxing!

God has been teaching me about self indulgence in my study as well. Thanks for the encouragement. I don't want to say I'm glad you struggle with it, but it is nice to know I'm not alone either.

Liesl said...

Excellent Monica. Thanks so much for the Scripture. And I need the prayers, too. The verse that comes to my mind daily since having baby 3 (since I am constantly hungry) is this --"It would be better to put a knife to the throat than to be a man given to appetite." Pretty severe, but I get the point!

Monica said...

Eeek! That is a tough one. I never noticed before how God talked about food. As a Baptist it has always been teased about that it is good food, fellowship and fun. Emphasis has been on food in so many areas of my life. How do you resist Liesl?

Anonymous said...

I am so THRILLED to read this post, Monica, you have no idea. After having been through this exactly the same (the spiritual awakening/battle), I have been so burdened for this topic to BE ADDRESSED in the church. I believe God does not dismiss nutrition & wellness like we do. Especially Baptists! I wish we could be somewhat like the Jews in honoring God's laws regarding the body. Instead, a Baptist preacher will expound on smoking & drinking & never once touch gluttony, often himself unaware of that very sin.

Anyway. Sore point with me.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

hey monica!!!!! it has been a long time. i got your blog page from someone i can't even remember who and i looked at it awhile ago...but i never said hi. forgive me...i have been back in contact with christina dilger powers and she had mentioned you again and i thought i would look your blog up again. all that to say....you look great. your kids are adorable and i would love to keep in contact with you better. i have a blog now if you want to check out my boys. anyway, thought i would say hi. hope you are doing well. talk soon!!!

Monica said...

Danna! I so appreciate your comments. I am finally getting to where I can deal with the issues behind just putting food in my mouth. I don't understand how pastors and teachers can joke about overindulgence and other eating issues. It is interesting that especially with my background outward sins like you mentioned are really harped on and looked on with much distain, but eating is joked about. I don't get it. Tell me more of your thoughts. I am learning and you have been through all this. Teach me o wise one :)

Monica said...

Hey Karmen. It is sooo good to hear from you. I just checked out your sight. Absolutely adorable fam!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica! We are putting our tree up this coming Monday. We got a little white tree from the 60's that will just sit on our end table in the living room. Your tree is very nice!

Monica said...

Hey Christina! It is good to see you in the blogging world :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica,

It really is frustrating & part of why food is such an issue (mostly a closet issue) for so many people ~ no one addressing it straight up. When Gwen Shamblin (author of Weigh Down Workshop) said, "You eat to fill a hole in your heart that is God-shaped," I just was floored. She's so right. I would eat for comfort or relaxation or familiarity or anything, really. I thought about food, I connived ways to eat a LOT of food, I ran up a credit card on just food, etc. Granted, a lot of mine was b/c I ate large amounts in order to vomit them up, but it's still exactly the same thing. I pray preachers face this scary bull & bring it down in our churches. People fill that GOd-shaped hole with food, affairs, alcoholism, smoking, drugs, porn, & addictions of all kinds. I think one of the problems, though, is most of those are sins everyone can hide. A man can sit in church & not flinch an inch while the preacher pounds on pornography. That man being one who has an active addiction -- & no one knows. However, the preacher could expound on gluttony or eating disorders & the sin of pursuing self-gratification, & every person (pretty much) who struggles in this area is practically on a billboard in front of the church. THere's no hiding an eating sin! It's a very tender, sensitive area that really hits a person in his/her most vulnerable spot. I don't know that there is any other answer than the one in His Word, though, & that is truth in love. A preacher needs to open the Bible, share God's truth on eating, & then offer a practical way to lovingly guide his flock to obedience. Just like every other sin is handled. I believe Gwen Shamblin does this ~ except she's not a preacher, haha.

Man alive, I am totally babbling. I'm just so glad you understand my babble & find it encouraging, Monica!