Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Confessions from the Heart!

All right! I am looking for some input here. Honest but nonjudgmental please. I want to know if you guys are having devotions, how often and what do you do for your devotions and finally how long do they normally last?

God has really been trying to get me to the end of myself. I have tried for a long time to just work hard and do everything on my own. I have really struggled lately. I don't have the strength, the organization, the patience or anything else. I have been a frustrated timebomb that has had to apologize way more often than I would care to admit. I am even getting muscle spasms and twitching because I am trying so hard and getting nowhere while getting very frustrated. This weekend I have waved the white flag. I am finally seeing that this may not be just an organization problem but rather a spiritual problem of pride and not putting God at the helm.

I had not been doing devotions of any kind for quite some time. Truthfully, I haven't done them each and every day since they were a requirement at Northland! I have been so busy that I have not made time. I know that the saying goes I had so much to do today that I had to make time to pray.....just never got through to me though....or I had good intentions and well...you know. I am making a commitment to having my devotions. I am tired of just reading through a book, so I am doing a Bible study I had already. Karen, it was the one we were doing :) I need to surrender and realize that without him I am truly nothing and can do nothing for an extended period.

Just curious how you all fair in this area of your spiritual life!

17 comments:

tamara said...

I am right there with you. I too stuggle with trust and wanting to do things on my own. WHat love God has for us that he is still willing to deal with my heart.
I was doing so good and then ...life happened.
Just like our children crave our attention so is GOd. He wants "my "time.
I think that he has mine FINALLY. I am making a commitment to use my drive time to pray, and recall scripture to mind as my devotion time. I also think that we as a group of Godly ladies need to uphold one another in prayer, and then when we are together we could start with prayer. Besides once we get to heaven we still HAVE to have our "Diva MeetingS". God is so gracious that hitting us over the heads is the last resort he will use to get our attention. Praise God for being patient with us and willing to work with our quirks. Lets link arms together and fight the battle. The Bible says that where 2 or 3 agree......

Scott and Beth said...

I actually sent Scott a very long email about this same thing not too long ago. I struggle with this for several reasons...First, I do not read! I have never been a reader. I hate to read! I have a very low reading comprehension and I just can't pay attention. Another thing is that I never know what God wants me to read! The bible is so big and I really sit there wondering if I'm reading the right thing! The other main reason is just time! I know Satan is good at keeping me busy! I am currently in the middle of a Beth Moore study, so that keeps me accountable most of the time. I am actually scared to end the study because I won't have those daily lessons to do!

Sam said...

I am not very good at devotions. If it were not for Jason and Kristen Hoffmann I would probably not have them at all. As it goes now they are spotty. Ja got me the purpose driven life for commuters it is on cd. I listen to it when i remember it. Kris bought me a mothers prayer journal. I read it every day . Simply cause it has quotes in it that are uplifting. I don't spend the time with them that I should. One thing I have seriously been considering and the reason I started my blog is that I wanted to share my devotions with you ladies. I think my pride has gotten in my way though. I also think that I am stressing out to much about things I should be letting God take care of. In my opinion this is why I am having the physical problems I am having. God wouldnt' give me to much to handle but I would handle it better if I let him help. So lets do this as a team. We can post our devotions daily to hold ourselves accountable or however we choose to do it. I do love you girls and pray for all of you every day. :)
sweet dreams

Troy & Sherry said...

Monica –
We all find ourselves in the same boat…good intentions, not much in the way of results (and most of us will say it’s because of crazy schedules. I would suggest starting small. For example, we both have short, daily devotions…I do RBC’s Our Daily Bread pretty much every day and Sherry has one specifically for women that I believe is an automatically generated e-mail. They only take about 5 minutes each but, at least for me, there can be an entire day’s worth of thought in that short devotion.
Also, for all of the reasons you’ve mentioned, we joined a small group Bible study a couple of months ago. It’s not so much that we have extra time, but that group provides some accountability for us to set aside some time during the week for devotions together. We NEED that accountability. It takes about an hour of prep time each week and we spend about an hour an a half with the group on Sunday evenings.

Monica said...

Troy! I am so honored you posted on my blog :)

Thank you all for your open and honest comments. They have been an encouragement and the extra push to keep me going in the right direction.

Want to know something funny? I went to the Christian bookstore 45 minutes away....as I was walking in...so was Sandy!!! We were both there to buy a Beth Moore study guide!!!! Too cool :) I am thankful that even though we are all in different places in our journey spiritually that God has allowed us all to go through similar struggles to help each other!

Beth....which study are you doing?

Karen said...

Monica, I completely understand what you mean. Busy, busy, busy... everyday life stuff gets in the way when I know it shouldn't. I started another study this summer, we met once, then things got in the way!
The two things that I have found helpful, and I am trying to get back to doing, it reading before I leave for work, and then the devotional before going to bed. I love the Journey's booklet you can get at Church. They are short, yet can be thought provoking, and have passages to read like a prayer or space to write a short prayer after reading, as well as another passage from the Bible to read for deeper thinking if you want. I really, really like them! I also have the morning and evening devotional books that I mentioned yesterday.
I agree ladies, that it is so important that we help each other!! What about a seperate blog that we could post passages or thoughts on? Love you all!

Monica said...

Karen...that was Sandy's idea as well. I think that is a good idea. I was looking for a bible study book at the christian book store as was Sandy. We walked in together...too funny! I found one online called...The Frazzled Female Bible Study. We could all pick a study and then discuss it, or we could all just do our own thing and then report what we are learning. What do you all think?

The Diva Girls said...

I like the idea of studying together. Kind of like a book club. I always wanted to be in one of those. I think We could study independently also. i read and did bible research on 5 chapters tonight between trucks. I learned a lot i also spent a large amount of time in prayer. Thanks girls for the help here.

The Diva Girls said...

That was from sandy sorry i didnt' log out i will fix that now.

Monica said...

Wow, Sandy! I am so proud of you :)

Scott and Beth said...

I am doing the book of Daniel. It is her new study. It is wonderful!

Monica said...

Allen was just looking at that one.I think he is interested in doing that one. Is it really indepth?

Scott and Beth said...

Yes! It's so neat! I didn't realize how much I didn't know about that book! I thought I knew the stories, but Beth Moore really brings out the detail. She has shown us how our world has become so much like how Babylon was. It is so convicting because you will see how Daniel is so strong in his faith even when it means he might be killed...more than once! I highly recommend it!

Monica said...

Hmmm....we may just have to get that one too :) Allen is willing to do it with me, so I am thinking this would be a tremendous opportunity to grow as a couple!

Scott and Beth said...

Are you just getting the book or are you going to do the videos as well? I recommend the videos, but I know they are a lot of money.

Anonymous said...

Monica, Monica . . . I love you! You are so real & relatable. And I understand everything said & left unsaid in this post. I struggle so much every day ~ & my temper & tongue make me hate myself.

I don't have any wisdom for you, just the empathy of another mother, Christian, friend, wife, etc. We would not long for heaven if we weren't imperfect & suffering here on earth. Our God is gracious to love us to Himself, undeserving & wretched.

Monica said...

Beth....we will probably have to do the book....that is expensive enough for my budget right now :)

Danna...so good to hear from you again. I appreciate your honest comment. Sometimes it really helps to have that empathy. Because I have really been loathing myself lately...then that leads to guilt and I have been in a downward spiral. I love and appreciate you!!!