Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Aunt Annie

How do you say good-bye to someone who has always been there? Someone who would take me on the weekends....let me feed mean chickens that used to chase me when we went for eggs, let me ride her pony (that she let us believe was ours) even when it threw me off twice in a row....you'd have thought I would have gotten the message by then!!!! :) Going out to visit her in AZ on vacations. You took good care of us! Even giving me a spank when I needed it because I wouldn't sit down in the car :)

How do you say good-bye to someone who has always been my cheerleader? I could always call or write and tell her my accomplishments. She would cheer, clap and praise with the best of them. You spurred me on to be the best that I could be.

How do you say good-bye to someone who loves my kids like a grandmother? This is the one that just breaks my heart. She has cherished the funny stories of my sweet, smart Hannah girl. She laughs and tells others. She will even get in the sand when she is very sick and build sandcastles with Hannah just to get to know her and make memories with her...not to mention just because she loves her. She drove all the way from up by Minnesota just to help us celebrate Hannah's first birthday. When Hannah was just a baby Aunt Annie was the only one that Hannah would let rock her to sleep. Those are precious memories of loving me and my family.

She had matching bald heads with little Emily last Christmas because of her chemo and radiation. I think that bonded those two. "Bald is Beautiful" was their battle cry! She never misses a chance to snuggle her buddy :)

She prayed a lot for the safe arrival of our little man. She likes to call him Paul :) Too funny, she thought Joseph Harrison was much too big of a name for such a little one....ha, he has proved her wrong....he has truly grown into that name. He is a very big boy! Every time he would cry when we were up there last she said he was calling for his Aunt Annie. You know, I think maybe he was. He didn't want to not have Aunt Annie memories. He got the award for the best gift when he gave her SuperGirl underwear for her birthday :) Joseph never has a chance to fuss when Aunt Annie is around...she will scoop him up with the first wimper or boo boo face! Spoiled rotten and loves it.

Here is another good memory when we were up there last she gave my girls money to go out for an ice cream after a day out on the town with us. She was getting a little too weak to come with us. So, we let the girls pay at McDonalds with their own money from Aunt Annie. They thought that was so special! Then we let them have at it! What a mess...it made for cute pictures. Precious memories. Then we got to go over to her house for a Packer party the next day. We were all decked out in our Packer gear :) Fun times! "Go Brett Favre" Hannah yells as she dances around the living room. Joseph never left Aunt Annie's arms.

Thank you for pushing yourself and your body so hard to spend so much time with us the last time we were up there. Going to Chinese only to have to get up and leave because of the lack of service and the clanging of real china...not a good kids place! Then going to McDonalds AGAIN with us. These are times I will always remember and be so grateful I had with you. It is so not easy for me to be away from my family.

How do you say good-bye to someone when all you want to say is NO, NOT YET????? I know that is selfish of me because you are in so much pain, but I love you and I don't feel like letting go. I know you are going to be in Glory with our Savior and all your pain will quickly fade away. Remember us and how much we love you. Thank you for all the memories you have made in my life and in the life of my kids. We are going to miss you so very much! But no matter what, you will live on in our memories, our pictures, all the lessons you have taught us, the cleanliness you instill, the work ethic you have taught us and the pure strength you have. I love and admire you.

How do you say good-bye? I wish I could have just one more hug and kiss and to hear you say you love me too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With fresh, raw pain from our own family's loss, I read your words through choking tears, & I know there is really nothing more I can say except that I care, Monica.

Monica said...

Thank you Danna! I know you guys know really how hard it is. Your words mean so much to me. Love ya!

nicandsi said...

oh babe i wish i could hug you i feel so sad that you are all experiencing this pain and that we can do nothing being so far away but i want you to know that you are in our hearts and thoughts constantly we love you all so much chin up babe love ya xxxx nicki xxxx

Monica said...

Thank you somuch Nicki! It means so much that you are thinking of us all.

Scott and Beth said...

We're still thinking about you all and praying for you...

tamara said...

try not to think of it as saying Goodbye. think of it as see you later. or if you had a favorite saying to her when you would leave, say that back to her. You WILL see her again. This earthly body is just that earthly, but her spirit and soul will live on. It will ive in the memories, the smile on your face, something that one of the kids will do that will remind you.
My granny had the same cancer and it is so very hard. BUt once you see them struggle, you know that God is merciful and faithful. He has her in the palm of his hand, just as he has you during this time.
Do not cry for me as I am going home.
DO not shed a tear for this is not what I want you to do.
Instead, smile and know that I am home with my Savior.
Besides who better to let the Lord know exactly what you want your mansion to look like.
I love you and I am here if you need to cry on someone. love you

Karen said...

Kinds words and sweet memories with your Aunt Annie. I can understand what you are going through and wish you didn't have to. I am praying for you and your Aunt. I am sure she is greatly comforted after reading this. The love you have for her is so aparent. Love you, and I am there if you need anything!!