Tuesday, December 19, 2006

New Year's Resolution/Goal???

Do you guys do this? I haven't really given this a whole lot of thought, but I have some things I know I need to be doing.

My New Year's Goals for 2007:
1. Read my Bible every day
2. Keep a praise journal
3. Exercise 2 times a week (a start is what I need)
4. Drink 5 glasses of water a day (40 oz)...I know that is not even close to what you are doing
Christina!
5. Work with my kids on verses and schoolwork 3 times a week

What are some of yours???

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn’t really given this any thought, but I did ask Scott to get me a chronological bible with a daily reading guide to read the bible in a year. After my study in the book of Daniel, I thought it might be neat to read the bible in chronological order. I need a guide or something to keep me accountable and tell me what to read. I have a hard time just sitting down and reading the bible.

Monica said...

yeah me too. That is why my bible study books have been such a blessing

Anonymous said...

I went to LifeWay a couple of weeks ago, but I just didn't know what to get. I really have a hard time in this area. I can't pick something to read in the bible and I can't pick a book. My Beth Moore study was great because she told me what to read. I am not a decision maker.

Troy & Sherry said...

working on our house!
eating healthy!
making a baby :)
maybe that is too much info :)
love you bunches

Anonymous said...

Monica. . .I am right with you on making goals for the new year. Actually, I posted an article on my own blog about the same things!

I remember a close friend challenging me to pick one that is the most important to me. By doing that, I can break the one goal into chunks and truly see change happen in my life. I took her advice and have thought about one goal for each of my relationships. For example, one goal as a parent, one goal as a wife, one goal in my walk with the Lord, one goal as a friend, and one goal as a servant in my local church. From there, I choose devotional and reading materials that coach me through the changes and lead me through Scripture that I can follow and memorize.

One of my goals is about ironing. I hate to iron, and as a result, my poor husband often ends up doing his own. So, a goal as a wife this year is to put ironing ahead of one other activity/chore as a way to serve my husband. Obviously there isn't a whole lot of devotional materials about ironing. But, there are many about persevearance, serving others, and experiencing victory. I can also find out from others what they do to tackle the ironing and make it fun.

I have been guilty in the past of defeating myself by making a list of 101 things I don't like about myself and want to change. As a result, I spread myself out to thin, I don't change in any of the areas, and I complicate future change by adding a load of guilt over my failures.

Don't be discouraged. Keep on pluggin' away! I am praying for you and cheering you on!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Babe, I love ya, but your are setting yourself up to be even unhappier with yourself than you already are. I think it should look more like this:
1. Read my Bible.
2. Write down praises.
3. Exercise, even if it's sex
4. Drink one more glass of water a day than I am now.
5. Work with my kids on verses and schoolwork 3 times a week

When you DO this list, THEN make it harder. This list is doable.

Do you feel lectured? heeheeee!

Monica said...

Danna...you have been so good for me! I like your goals for me much better :) Ha ha ha, I loved the exercise goal. You just kills me :)

Nicole. That is super. I have never heard of having goals for different aspects of your life. Cool idea!

Anonymous said...

Monica,
My goals this year is to lose weight,( I started at 330 ), so that Buddy and I can start and try to have a baby. By the end of 2007 I would like to weigh below 200lbs. Another goal of ours as you know is to find a more permanent home to live in and not rent anymore. Also to be more in tune with Jesus and what He wants me to do and how to better serve him and Buddy.

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

I know I'm a little late on this one-- but I usually make one resolution that I try to keep and the year that I keep it-- I'll add another one. That resolution is:
*Remembering all the birthdays of my family and close friends and AT LEAST sending them a card. There you go-- nothing deep. I think that this is the sixth year I've made that resolution-- and I still havn't finished off the year at 100%!

Anonymous said...

Monica,

As far as the water, lately I have been out and about and I didn't want to drink my 160 oz. of water because I wasn't home near my own bathroom. But I can tell you that without drinking the water I felt less energy, more bloated, and hungrier. So I realized more how important water is and that our bodies need to stay hydrated.

Monica said...

Great job Christina. I am so glad you guys are learning so much. Wow, I can't even imagine drinking that much water! You must go pee every ten minutes :)

Leah...isn't that a hard one. There have been years that I have to sit and do several months at a time. Then I will put the postage, address, and return address. Then I will put a sticky note on them with the date that a certain stack needs to be mailed by. That worked really well. The messages weren't always very personal as they were made out ahead of time, but at least they were punctual :)

Thank you guys for sharing your goals and encouraging mine. It is so neat to see what we all have to work on and what is important to us.

nicandsi said...

hey monica we make new year resolutions every year mine this year is to keep up to date a bit more online been a bit busy this year and showing my babe and kids that i love them even more every day that goes by love ya by the wayi've updated my blog xxxx

Monica said...

Hey, Nicki!! Happy 10th Anniversary to you and Simon. I am so sorry I have sent your card late :( I have been so bad with that the last couple of months...maybe even the whole year. I think I may need to set that as a goal like Leah :)