Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Christ Child

I was reading in my Beth Moore devotional the other night and it was talking about the Christmas story. Now the author said can you even imagine being 9 months pregnant and riding a donkey for any length of time. I have no idea how long it took to get from Galilee to Bethlehem. Can you imagine that jostling on the old bladder much less how uncomfortable that seat (or lack of one) would be. Then the author was saying that Joseph was going back to his hometown. It was filled with family. How could there not be a place for them to stay? Not one of his relatives or acquantances could give up there spot for the pregnant chick? I can't even imagine even in today's day and age.....but I have to assume that hospitality was much more important back then. In fact, most towns felt it was their responsibility to bring in travelers, feed them and even give them a place to stay. He was saying that Christ was born into a situation that was humble and uncomfortable. We have never had it worse than Christ. What a comfort! He knows all our heartache. He cares and takes care of us. What a wonderful story. Praise God for sending His son to be the Savior of the world!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some very good points! I have not ever been pregnant, but I don't think I would want to ride on a donkey anyway.

What Beth Moore study are you doing?

Monica said...

It is a 365 devotional with stories from the mission field. I don't remember what it is called.

Yeah, I had never thought about the part of him knowing all those people and yet they kicked them out to the barn. Now I have so relatives that I don't necessarily want to share a house with, but we would never kick them out to the barn...especially if one was pregnant! I am curious of all the details that were left out of that story. How forsaken must they have felt on the most important night in history?

Anonymous said...

That is the first time that I have heard someone present the element of Joseph's family. It is too bad how often families are their own worst enemies and critics. One has to wonder how suspicious and judgemental the family members behaved toward Mary and Joseph. If I had been Mary, I think I would have cried oceans of tears. She is such an example, singing a Magnificant through it all! I wish I could have known her personally! Thanks, Monica, for putting this on your blog. . .it's a great blessing and challenge!

Anonymous said...

Mary is now on my list of people that I would like to meet!

Monica said...

Ok, first thing is I think they traveled from Nazareth....I don't know my Bible geography well :(

Yeah, it is just interesting that I had never even thought of that before. It is so much for relevant to me now that I am a wife and especially after being pregnant!

Monica said...

Ha, I am smarter than I think I am. Nazareth is like the town, Galilee is like the state. So, I acutally was right :)