Thursday, August 10, 2006

When Going Potty Stinks!

No, no....not #2. I know most potty stinks, but it really stinks when you have to clean it up at 2am!!! I have a problem that I need some advice with...or should I have said I have a problem with which I need some advice? You English people make me nervous with my grammar :)

Hannah has been potty training for a year. She can do it fine when she is awake and at nap time. Nighttime is another story. We have her wearing pull-ups then. Well, she now has informed me that she wants to be big like Allison (my niece) and where undies to bed. Well, needless to say I have washed and changed more linen in the last week than I'd like to mention. What do I do? She is peeing in the middle of the night and then is devastated. I feel irritated and then sorry for her at the same time.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom? For those of you that have potty trained kids...how did you finally get the hang of nighttime???

9 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

Well...as you know, I do not have any kids, but I've seen 2 sisters, 4 brothers, 2 nephews and 1 niece potty trained, so I'm going to give my input The only thing I know to do is make sure she goes potty RIGHT BEFORE bed and maybe wake her up around 1:00 or so to go again. I'm not sure how easy it is for you to get her to sleep, so I don't know that you would want to do that. I'm assuming she is waking up once she wets? If she does, what difference does it make other than she won’t wet the bed. She’s very smart, so I would just tell her that if she really wants to wear her big girl panties, you will have to wake her up in the night to go potty so that she won’t wet. Honestly Monica, all kids are different. Not to scare you, but Carrie wet the bed until she was about 9 years old, I wet until I was about 4, but Heather never wet at all after she was potty trained. I have no other ideas, so maybe one of your mom friends has a better plan. Carrie wore Pull-Ups almost until she was 9. The doctor said there was nothing wrong with her; she just couldn’t wake herself up.

Troy & Sherry said...

monica-
sorry no info from me but we will be praying for you to have wisdom and for hannah to adapt to this quickly...love you bunches!

Jen said...

We made sure she drank nothing after supper until she got the hang of it. Probably waking her up sometime in the middle of the night is good too. I don't know, but it does seem like a lot of kids are all over the map in this area. Sierra didn't even want to start until after she got her cast off - (3-3 1/2) that became a huge motivation to no longer have to deal with having rashes, but another friend has a daughter who wears pullups at 7. You're doing great - her wanting to initiate it is a great allie (sp.)

Monica said...

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the ideas. I will wake her this evening and tell you how it goes. BETH, you have more experience than anyone I know...you are definitely qualified :)

Scott and Beth said...

I hope Hannah made it through the night last night! Bless her little heart…she wants to be a big girl so bad! Hopefully, having her go potty just before bed and waking her up in the night will do the trick!

nicandsi said...

hey hun.. well how we did it with george and olivia-rose was put them on the loo when they go to bed then put them on the loo again when you go to bed and they are really sleepy so they will go straight back to sleep when put back in bed and ours go to bed at 8 so we have no drinks after 7 unless its hot we did that for about 3 months and they now get themselves up at night good luck hun xxxx

Monica said...

You guys are so brilliant!!!!! It worked. I had her go right before she went to bed, then when we went to bed. She didn't pee :) Yahoooooooooo

Hey Nicki, did you get my email about Grandma's birthday?

Scott and Beth said...

Hooray! That is wonderful! What a good girl!

Jen said...

What a relief! Great job Mol!